FORT PIERCE – If your children have time on their hands this summer, take them to the Zora Neale Hurston Branch Library for fun activities from movie matinees to interactive, hands-on programs.
Family activities for July include:
· Library Science Rocks continues on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. through July 14 (except for the week of July 4). Designed for students in kindergarten through 5th grade, this program provides students with the opportunity to take part in hands-on science experiments.
· Weekly Storytimes take place on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.
· Game Day gets competitive Thursday, July 5 at 3 p.m. Youth of all ages can challenge each other on the Nintendo Wii system or have fun with board games and more.
· “Sherlock Gnomes” cracks the case on Friday, July 6 at 3 p.m. Featuring the voices of Kelly Asbury, Mary J. Blige and Emily Blunt, garden gnomes, Gnomeo & Juliet, recruit renowned detective Sherlock Gnomes to investigate the mysterious disappearance of other garden ornaments. This film is rated PG with a running time of 86 minutes.
· Snap into “Legos at the Library” on Friday, July 7 at 3 p.m. for a chance to build, learn and play.
· S.T.E.A.M. Power heats up on Saturday, July 14 at 2 p.m. Ages 8 to 18 can participate in hands-on activities that focus on science, technology, engineering art and math.
· Fictionaries flutter in on Thursday, July 12 at 10 a.m. at Hurston.Don’t miss this fun, fast paced, game show-themed spectacular. We’ll test our participants’ knowledge in current and past kid’s fiction questions.
· Contraption Faction will be offered three times this month: Friday, July 13 and July 27 at 3 p.m. and Saturday, July 21 at 2 p.m. Suited for ages 10 and older, these programs will focus on building games, gadgets and robotics, including a session with Legos.
· Dewey and the Decibel Sisters dance into the libraries on Thursday, July 19 at 10 a.m. at Hurston. Come join us for some fun, music and laughs as Dewey and her sisters get ready for their big performance.
· “A Wrinkle in Time” checks into the movie matinee on Friday, July 20 at 3 p.m. Featuring Storm Reid, Oprah Winfrey and Reese Witherspoon, after the disappearance of Meg Murry’s scientist father, three celestials journey to Earth to help Meg search for him. This film is rated PG with a running time of 109 minutes.
· The Hobe Sound Nature Center gets wild with live animals on Thursday, July 26 at 10 a.m. at Hurston. Explore the world of Raptors, presented by Hobe Sound Nature Center Interpretive Naturalists.
· Welcome to the Jungle on Saturday, July 28 at 2 p.m. at the movie matinee presents “Jumanji” (2018). Featuring Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black and Kevin Hart,four teenagers are sucked into a magical video game, and the only way they can escape is to work together to finish the game. This film is rated PG-13 with a running time of 119 minutes. Anyone younger than 13, must have a permission slip signed by a parent or guardian. Permission slips will be available at the front desk.
These programs are free and open to the public.
The Zora Neale Hurston Branch of the St. Lucie County Library System is located at 3008 Avenue D, Fort Pierce. For more information about library programs visit: www.stlucieco.gov/library or call 772-462-2154 or email email@example.com.